Periodontal disease is one of the most common diseases affecting cats and dogs. Untreated it can lead to a host of other, more serious medical problems throughout your pet’s body, including disease of the heart, liver and kidneys. This can easily be prevented through routine veterinary dental care.
At Lake Country Animal Hospital, we offer a range of veterinary dental services to help keep your pet’s mouth healthy and clean including:
- Dental Prophylaxis – a procedure to remove plaque and tartar from the surface of the teeth and under the gumline
- Dental Polish – a procedure to smooth out the surface of the tooth after the prophylaxis has been preformed
- Dental Radiographs – to help assess the health of the tooth roots and jaw bones
- Dental food and treats – to help reduce tartar and plaque on the teeth
- Water treatments – to help reduce tartar and plaque on the teeth
- Tooth brushing – demonstrations and guidance to teach you how to brush your pets’ teeth
Most dental procedures are performed as a day procedure – allowing your pet to go home with you that evening and recover in their own environment.
In some cases, dental care may be referred to a veterinary dentist as it would be in the best interest of your pet.